Tom Clancy Oath of Office

Tom Clancy Oath of Office

by Marc Cameron
Tom Clancy Oath of Office

Tom Clancy Oath of Office

by Marc Cameron

Paperback(Mass Market Paperback)

$9.99  $10.99 Save 9% Current price is $9.99, Original price is $10.99. You Save 9%.
    Qualifies for Free Shipping
    Check Availability at Nearby Stores

Related collections and offers


Marine officer. CIA analyst. President. Jack Ryan has devoted his life to protecting the United States. What if this time he can't? President Ryan and the Campus return in this entry to Tom Clancy's #1 New York Times bestselling series.

Freedom may have finally arrived in Iran. As protests break out across the country, the media rejoices over the so-called Persian Spring. Western leaders are ecstatic. Members of Congress and the Cabinet clamor to back the rebels. Only President Jack Ryan remains wary.

Meanwhile, he has plenty to handle at home. A deadly strain of flu is ravaging the United States as spring floods decimate the Southeast. An unethical senator wants to bring down the Ryan presidency and is willing to lean on fabricated bot-planted stories to do it.

But the scariest story is the most closely guarded one. Two Russian nuclear missiles have been hijacked. The Campus gets its first break when Jack Jr. connects with a rogue Russian intelligence officer in Afghanistan—only to be abducted soon after arriving. John Clark and the rest of the Campus team race to track the missiles and rescue their colleague.

As sensationalized stories spin out of control and the stolen missiles remain out of reach, President Ryan's toughest challenge emerges: How do you meet an enemy head on when he won't even show you his face?

Product Details

ISBN-13: 9780735215979
Publisher: Penguin Publishing Group
Publication date: 11/05/2019
Series: Jack Ryan Series
Pages: 544
Sales rank: 84,982
Product dimensions: 4.20(w) x 7.50(h) x 1.30(d)

About the Author

About The Author
A little more than thirty years ago, Tom Clancy was a Maryland insurance broker with a passion for naval history. Years before, he had been an English major at Baltimore's Loyola College and had always dreamed of writing a novel. His first effort, The Hunt for Red October, sold briskly as a result of rave reviews, then catapulted onto the New York Times bestseller list after President Reagan pronounced it "the perfect yarn." From that day forward, Clancy established himself as an undisputed master at blending exceptional realism and authenticity, intricate plotting, and razor-sharp suspense. He passed away in October 2013.

A native of Texas, Marc Cameron spent twenty-nine years in law enforcement. He served as a uniformed police officer, a mounted (horse patrol) officer, a SWAT officer, and a U.S. Marshal. Cameron is conversant in Japanese and travels extensively researching his New York Times bestselling Jericho Quinn novels. Cameron's books have been nominated for both the Barry Award and the Thriller Award.

Read an Excerpt


In Mother Russia, secrets did not stay secret for long. Information was strength. Informing was ingrained. It was nothing short of miraculous that Colonel Pavel Mikhailov of the 224th Air Detachment, Military Transport Aviation, had been able to hide his sins at all.

The tribunal convened by his superiors had been a lengthy and embarrassing ordeal. But he was better for it, wasn't he? Bez muki net nauki-no torture, no science. No pain, no gain, the Americans said. Now he'd gotten back his wings-and he wasn't about to do anything that would jeopardize them again. He would be careful. He would be precise. Above all, he would be sober.

Flashlight in hand, the fifty-three-year-old colonel walked beneath the drooping wing of the monstrous Antonov An-124 cargo plane, taking comfort in the smell of jet fuel. A light wind tousled his thinning gray hair. Rosacea that never seemed to go away anymore pinked the round apples of his cheeks. The night had turned out chilly, but the day had been a pleasant one for spring in Moscow, and the black tarmac was still giving up its warmth. Colonel Mikhailov wore small foam earplugs to protect his hearing, but the whine of the auxiliary power unit and the hydraulic squeal of machinery were muffled music to his way of thinking. He played the flashlight under the broad surface of the swept wing, then carefully checked each of the twenty-four tires, as complete and thorough in this preflight as if he were still a pink-faced cadet at Gagarin Academy.

He'd never wrecked an aircraft, or even had a close call, but as his commanding general said, no matter how skilled a pilot he was, one could only show up for work "looking like a bag of ass" so many times before people began to talk. Ironically, his superiors had not begun to worry until after he attended his first weekly meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous. The Russian government had long been wary of AA-secret meetings and deference to a higher power other than the state lent credence to the general lack of trust in any program created by the West. But more than that, it was Mikhailov's new attitude that bothered them.

Vodka was as much a part of the Russian psyche as great-coats and poems about troika rides.

In 1858 the government attempted to refill the state coffers drained by the Crimean War by tripling the price of a bucket of vodka. Peasants took oaths of sobriety to protest this tax. Temperance movements swelled as formerly sotted citizens swore off anything more potent than beer-and that just would not do. The Army intervened with crushing aggression on behalf of state alcohol interests, flogging the protesters and using funnels to force vodka down their throats. Temperance groups were outlawed, and more than seven hundred protesters were arrested as rebels.

If Colonel Mikhailov was suddenly worried about handling his liquor, perhaps everyone else should worry as well. Perhaps he was a rebel.

Three decades of service had given Mikhailov guardian angels in high places, men who had flown with him in Afghanistan in the eighties, who still held some measure of loyalty, though they had risen to loftier heights. Skilled pilots with Mikhailov's experience were hard to find-and he told himself he was better while in his cups than half the kids in today's Federation Air Force when they were flying sober.

The disciplinary hearing had been excruciating. Listening to one's numerous shortcomings was difficult enough when drunk. A clear head made it nearly unbearable as the panel of generals ticked down the list, fault by disgusting fault. Those well-placed friends didn't stop the panel from threatening to have him cashiered, but even through the fog of shame he knew better. Had they wanted to take away his pension, they would have simply done it, not threatened it.

Though at times he felt a bucket would have been the perfect vessel from which to drink more vodka, Colonel Mikhailov managed to keep his mouth shut during the process. He did precisely as he was told, and he eventually earned back his wings-wings that brought with them enough trust for this mission.

He'd flown his Antonov 124 to Zhukovsky Airport from Migalovo the day before. The runway at the 6955th home base was adequate for the enormous bird, so long as she was empty, but load her up and it was a different story. Seventy-four thousand, three hundred fifty-two kilograms heavier than it was the day before, the An-124 now needed substantially more runway on takeoff than Migalovo provided. Zhukovsky was located some thirty-six kilometers southeast of Moscow along the Moskva River. It served not only as a civilian international airport, but also as home to Gromov Flight Research Institute, which added to the security protocols needed for sensitive missions like this one.

Apart from the performance and security reasons for changing airports, the two-hundred-kilometer flight served as a shakedown run for the crew of six-four of them new to Mikhailov. He had flown with one of the two engineers before, but the other, along with the radioman, navigator, and first officer, were not from the 224th. Substitutions like this happened, especially on this type of mission, but the An-124 community was relatively small, and he was surprised he'd never met any of these men. Had he stood on firmer ground with respect to his wings, he would have asked more questions. Mikhailov knew his reputation as a skilled pilot was unmatched in the notoriously tricky Antonov, but his reputation as a drunk was just as well known, even outside the military. The new crew members observed him carefully during the preflight briefing for any evidence of alcohol.

He'd arrived early this evening, used his identification card to badge his way through the concentric layers of gates, doors, and armed security personnel, making it to his airplane in time to watch the onboard overhead cranes and powerful winches load the two twenty-meter-long wooden crates through the tail door. His flight manifest noted that the contents of each box were osoboy vazhnosti-of particular importance-what the United States called Top Secret. Their destination was Sary-Shagan in central Kazakhstan, making the classification somewhat moot. Sary-Shagan was a missile test facility, so there was no question as to what these were. There were no markings, other than computer barcodes, but dosimeters affixed to the fore end of each crate left little doubt that the items inside were nuclear. As pilot-in-command, he had to be informed that each item weighed a little over thirty-seven thousand kilos. The length and weight narrowed it down a bit, some kind of medium-range missile, surely a new model, since they were on their way to be tested. Mikhailov was paid to transport, not to deduce.

It didn't matter to him what he carried, so long as he was flying.

Attachment points on the missiles themselves protruded through small cutouts in the wood along the length of the crates, allowing the Antonov's internal crane system to load each item through the massive rear cargo door and nestle them all securely in the bay.

There was room to spare.

Mikhailov had moved a battalion of soldiers, huge military trucks, tanks, other aircraft, even a rescue submarine. He and his fellow pilots were fond of saying they were capable of transporting the Kremlin, so long as the weight was correctly distributed.

The loadmasters would stow the massive tow bar in the rear cargo area after the Antonov was pushed back; then they would stay behind in Zhukovsky, leaving the unloading of this cargo of particular importance to their counterparts at Sary-Shagan.

With his preflight inspection completed, Colonel Mikhailov walked up the open aft cargo ramp, hugged the wall to pass the secured missiles, and climbed the stairs to the upper deck. The rest of the crew had already taken up their positions in the cockpit. They bid him the customary welcome deserving of a colonel and pilot-in-command, and he settled himself into the left seat. No matter how many times he climbed in behind the yoke of any aircraft, he still felt a sense of wonder that heated his belly like . . . well, like a good drink.

He put on a pair of reading glasses, ready to perform his portion of the pre-takeoff checklist, while the first officer, an imposing and broody man named Cherenko, read point by point from a laminated card. A civilian-or just as likely an FSB pilot-he wore dark slacks and a white shirt with three yellow stripes on the black shoulder boards.

A secondary warning light for the fire-suppression system in the cargo hold had not been replaced as per Mikhailov's order the previous day, but he made the decision to wait until they returned to Migalovo. The remainder of the checks were unremarkable.

Mikhailov turned to the navigator seated behind him, who'd already received clearance and instructions for takeoff from Delivery Control. "Flight time?"

"Three hours and thirty-seven minutes, Colonel," the navigator said. "Winds are on the nose most of the way. A Ural Airbus 320 coming in from the south reported heavy turbulence at flight level one-nine-zero."

Mikhailov nodded, unperturbed. "Very well," he said. "Let us be on our way. I know a woman there who makes very good mutton stew."

"It is probably Kazakh horse cock," First Officer Cherenko said and chuckled as he stowed the preflight checklist in the binder beside his seat.

"Whatever it is"-Mikhailov shrugged, deciding he did not like the man-"the stew is delicious." He checked his watch-0104 hours-and leaned forward, adjusting the radio to hear the latest flight information service broadcast. He listened to the recorded message play all the way before giving a nod to the first officer. The trip from Migalovo the day before had established that Mikhailov preferred to let his copilot run the radios while he flew the airplane.

"Ground," Cherenko said. "Antonov 2808 ready to taxi with information Bravo."

"Antonov 2808," a male voice said. "Hold short Runway One-Two, monitor Tower on one-one-niner-point-five."

Military pilots spoke in Russian among themselves, and, to the consternation of pilots transiting from other countries, the tower sometimes did as well. But English was the international language of aviation, and this airspace was controlled by civilians. The tower controller put them in line behind an Il-76 heavy, cautioning them of wake turbulence from the departing giant.

"In line behind the heavy," Cherenko responded. "Antonov 2808."

A moment later the forty-six-meter, four-engine Ilyushin Il-76 lumbered down the runway, leaving invisible vortices of whirling wind behind it.

The controller spoke again. "Antonov 2808 clear for takeoff on Runway One-Two, fly runway heading until five thousand feet. Contact Moscow Departure."

Cherenko read back the instructions as Mikhailov pushed the throttles forward slowly. The airplane began to shudder in place as he babied the four Lotarev D-18T turbofan engines for almost five full minutes before he released the brakes and began his takeoff roll. Slowly, steadily, the great bird picked up enough speed to heave herself off the runway.

"Positive rate of climb, Colonel." Cherenko's voice came over the intercom in Russian now, eyes on the altimeter. "Landing gear up."

The massive Antonov was a touchy bird, but in Mikhailov's capable hands more than a half-million pounds of airplane, fuel, and secret cargo flew with remarkable grace.

Air traffic controller Svetlana Minsky licked chapped lips and pressed slender fingers against her headphones-

as she was wont to do when she grew nervous. Her idiot boyfriend had convinced her to stop smoking, and she was feeling it tonight. A motivational poster tacked to the wall above her said in Cyrillic: The same hammer that shatters glass forges steel. The notion would have been hilarious had it not been so sad. The hammer that was Air Traffic Control was plenty capable of shattering steel. And anyway, Minsky was far too busy doing her job to be reading bullshit motivational posters. She and the dozens of other controllers on watch inside the windowless blue room of Moscow Center took care of the airspace for seventy airports in and around Moscow. Tonight was extra hectic, and she cursed her boyfriend for stealing her cigarettes.

The agitation in her gravel voice was apparent over the radio, earning her a side-eyed warning from her supervisor, who sat birdlike at a row of desks behind her, in the middle of the bullpen.

She watched a numbered blip appear on her radar screen as the sweep came around.

A new voice to go with the blip crackled in her headset. Thickly Slavic, the English would have been almost impossible for anyone but another Russian to understand. "Moscow Departure, Antonov 2808 leaving eight hundred feet for five thousand."

"Antonov 2808, radar contact. Continue climb as directed."

The Short-Term Conflict Alert on Minsky's computer showed a second Antonov, also with the Russian Air Force, bypassing Zhukovsky on a heading that would intercept 2808 at present speed and altitude. The planes were still eight miles apart. This gave her three miles before she'd have an "incident"-when two planes got closer than five lateral miles or a thousand feet of altitude.

Minsky dealt with other aircraft for a time, and gave a phlegmatic cough when she turned her attention back to the two Antonovs. All the open miles in the sky and these two bastards were determined to fly directly into each other.

Minsky wanted to curse almost as bad as she wanted a cigarette. "Antonov 2967, amend altitude to one four thousand, turn left thirty degrees for separation of company traffic departing Zhukovsky."

There was no response.

This was not unheard of. Pilots bumped radio knobs, switched to the wrong frequency, or became engrossed in some conversation with the flight deck. Sometimes they merely fell asleep.

Six miles apart.

Minsky tried again, repeating her command for 2967 to change altitude.

No response. The term to describe an aircraft that didn't respond over the radio was NORDO, but she didn't take the time to use it.

"Antonov 2808, maintain one six thousand, turn left thirty degrees without delay."

Closing in on five miles. This was too close to becoming an official "incident."

Both airplanes now climbed toward eighteen thousand feet, converging on the same point southwest above the Moskva River.

Minsky consoled herself that only one of them had to move out of the way.

The pilot answered with a read-back of her instructions. "Maintain one six thousand, turn left thirty degrees, Antonov 2808."

Minsky snatched up a small rubber alligator her boyfriend had given her to combat the stress of not smoking. She began to squeeze it, as if trying to obliterate the stupid thing from the world. She sighed in relief at the read-back as the number representing 2808 on her radar screen moved from its original path, following her instructions.

Inexplicably, the radar blip that was 2967 moved as well, directly toward 2808 in heading and rate of climb.

From the B&N Reads Blog

Customer Reviews