Written from the perspective of the Average Adjuster, and updated to include a detailed analysis of the new rules adopted in 2016, this book is an essential read for practitioners in maritime law and marine insurance.
The book contains:
- historical references regarding the establishment of General Average from Roman Law onwards;
- details of the establishment of International rules to achieve uniformity in the adjustment of General Average and their development:
- the Glasgow Resolutions of 1860;
- the York rules of 1864; and
- the York-Antwerp Rules 1877, 1890, 1924, 1950, 1974, 1994, 2004 and 2016;
- a detailed analysis of the York-Antwerp Rules 2016;
- CMI Guidelines relating to General Average;
- general average security;
- general average absorption clauses; and
- new to this edition: insurance of average disbursements.
Related collections and offers
About the Author
Geoffrey Hudson, M.A. (Oxon) [1925-2015] was a barrister and average adjuster, having been for many years a partner of Ernest Robert Lindley & Sons, one of the leading firms of international average adjusters. He had been both Chairman of the Association of Average Adjusters and President of the International Association of European Average Adjusters (AIDE). He was a Titulary Member of the Comité Maritime International and a Vice-President of the British Maritime Law Association, having served as Chairman of its Executive Committee and Convenor of its General Average Committee. He contributed to several publications including Lloyd’s Maritime and Commercial Law Quarterly. He was the author of Insurance of Average Disbursements, now incorporated in Marine Insurance Clauses (Fifth Edition) of which he was co-author§.
Michael Harvey is an average adjuster, having been a partner of Wm. Elmslie & Son and subsequently a director of INDECS Limited and currently Harvey Ashby Limited. He is a Fellow of the Association of Average Adjusters and served as Chairman in 2004/5. He is also a member of Association Mondiale de Dispacheurs and served as its President in 2013/15. He served on the London insurance market committee that devised and revised the International Hull Clauses in 2002 and 2003. He has addressed the International Marine Claims Conference on several occasions and chaired the sub-committee that formulated the IMCC Claims Handling Guidelines of 2009. He was also a member of the CMI International Working Group that was responsible for formulating the York-Antwerp Rules 2016.