The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket / Edition 1 available in Paperback
About the Author
Read an Excerpt
Excerpted from "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket"
Copyright © 1999 Edgar Allan Poe.
Excerpted by permission of Penguin Publishing Group.
All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.
Table of ContentsAcknowledgements List of Illustrations Introduction Edgar Allan Poe: A Brief Chronology A Note on the Text
The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket
Appendix A: Sources for the Novel
- From R. Thomas, Remarkable Shipwrecks, A Collection of Interesting Accounts of Naval Disasters (1813)
- From John Cleves Symmes, Symzonia: A Voyage of Discovery by Captain Adam Seaborn (1820)
- From [James McBride], Symmes’s Theory of the Concentric Spheres (1826)
- From Jane Porter, Sir Edward Seaward’s Narrative of His Shipwreck (1831)
- From Archibald Duncan, The Mariner’s Chronicle (1804–05)
- From Jeremiah N. Reynolds, The Voyage of the Potomac (1834)
Appendix B: Contemporary Reviews
- From The New-Yorker (1 August 1838)
- From The New-York Mirror (11 August 1838)
- From Albion (18 August 1838)
- From Knickerbocker Magazine (August 1838)
- From Burton’s Gentleman’s Magazine (September 1838)
- From Family Magazine (1838)
- From The Torch (13 October 1838)
- From The Spectator (27 October 1838)
- From The Monthly Review (October 1838)
Appendix C: Other Writers’ Responses to Pym
- From Herman Melville, Moby-Dick (1851) and Israel Potter:His Fifty Years of Exile (1855)
- From “The Mast-Head,” Chapter 35 of Moby-Dick
- From “The Whiteness of the Whale,” Chapter 42 of Moby-Dick
- From “Chapter 12. Israel Returns to the Squire’s AbodeHis Adventures There,” in Israel Potter: His Fifty Years of Exile
- From Charles Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du mal (1857)
- “La Géante”
- “A Voyage to Cythera”
- From Jules Verne, Le Sphinx des glaces (1897)
- From Henry James, The Golden Bowl (1904)