Firefly Books' Subject Bible series of twelve titles to date has sold over 150,000 copies in North America and three million worldwide. This latest title might just be the best of all. After all, humans devote their entire lives to striving for happiness by one means or another. And yet, happiness does not just happen. Pleasure might, fortune can, but long-lasting happiness and sustainable well-being what the author calls "flourishing" is an altogether more elusive condition, but not unreachable. It is a skill as much as a state. It takes effort, practice even.
The Happiness Bible works with the reader to explain how happiness works and evolves, where it comes from, and how it can be nurtured and maintained.
The book introduces the principles of positive psychology and how it works to achieve happiness or, it should be said, how to be less discontented. It examines what happiness studies have revealed and how positive psychology exercises help to banish the "thieves of happiness". Throughout the book are quotations that do more than inspire but also share wisdom worthy of reflection.
- 1. A History of Happiness Why It Matters
2. The Paradox of Positivity
3. Global Glee
4. Positive Psychology The Science of Flourishing
5. Thieves of Happiness and Barriers to Wellbeing
6. Mind-Mastery Breaking Down The Barriers to Wellbeing
7. Other People Matter Connection, Community and Communication
8. Happy Thinking Finding the Good and Surviving Well
9. Goals and Growth
10. Nourished by Nature
11. Find Your Forte and Go with The Flow
12. Meaning and Purpose What Matters Most and Why
13. Finding Space and Calm in The Now
14. Vitality is Vital to Living Well
15. A Happy Life is a Compassionate, Curious and Considered Life.
Related collections and offers
About the Author
Cheryl Rickman has written 14 guide books and inspirational memoirs on flourishing in life and business. From pop stars to death row prisoners to multimillionaires, she has interviewed hundreds of people and has also ghostwritten bestsellers for a number of them. Cheryl is a qualified Positive Psychology Practitioner, Ambassador of Wellbeing for the Network of Well-being and contributes to Psychologies magazine and The Huffington Post, among others. She lives near Winchester, UK.