Bernese Mountain dogs are the second-largest breed of Sennenhund-type dogs, a group of four breeds developed to assist the herders and dairymen of the Swiss Alps in their daily lives. Not only did Sennenhund dogs like the Bernese Mountain Dog guard livestock, but they also protected the homestead and provided herding and drafting services. Modern-day Bernese are more likely to play the role of devoted companions than farm dogs—a role they excel at due to their affectionate and docile natures.
All four of the Sennenhund breeds are hardy, good-natured working dogs with striking tricolored coats, but only the Bernese has gained widespread popularity in the United States. While Bernese Mountain Dogs are generally agreeable canines, early socialization and training are a must to uncover their true potential. This in-depth guide to the affable Bernese Mountain Dog will teach you how to make the most of your canine's cooperative temperament, and how to avoid problem behaviors before they start. Discover the answers to crucial questions such as:
- Is a Bernese Mountain Dog the right dog for me?
- How do I select the right puppy or rescue dog for my household?
- What do I need to do to prepare my home for a Bernese puppy?
- Which training methods are most effective for Bernese Mountain Dogs?
The Complete Guide to the Bernese Mountain Dog, by dog trainer and journalist Andrea Berman, is a comprehensive guidebook that delves into the temperament, health, and history of these sturdy and adaptable animals. In these pages, pet parents like you will find the tools to handle every stage of their Bernese Mountain Dog's life, from the first few days at home to their Berner's senior years. Find out everything you need to know about owning a Bernese Mountain Dog, including:
- The history of the Bernese Mountain Dog
- Selecting a reputable Bernese breeder
- Rescue organizations and animal shelters
- Preparing your home for a large dog
- Common household hazards
- What to expect the first few nights
- Introducing your Berner to new people and pets
- Tips and tricks for training the Bernese breed
- Socializing the adult Bernese Mountain Dog
- Choosing a professional dog trainer or training class
- Diet and nutrition for the Bernese Mountain Dog
- Grooming requirements for the Bernese Mountain Dog
- Health and wellness information for all stages
Bernese Mountain Dogs are robust and intelligent dogs who are extremely devoted to their human companions. Discover all the facts you need about your noble Bernese Mountain Dog in the pages of this all-encompassing book, which gives you the information needed to provide a strong foundation and a nurturing environment for your Berner, both mentally and physically.
This remarkable guidebook provides an easy-to-follow road map for raising a happy, well-adjusted Bernese Mountain Dog!
|Barnes & Noble
About the Author
Andrea Berman spent many years as a dog trainer and later pursued her passion for journalism, culminating with a decade-long career as a newspaper columnist. In this book, she combines her love of writing with her dog training experience in an easy-to-read, comprehensive guide to the care and training of the Bernese Mountain Dog. Filled with a plethora of practical tips, common-sense advice, and personal anecdotes, you’ll soon learn why the Bernese Mountain Dog has become one of her most loved (and sometimes challenging) dog breeds.