Related collections and offers
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
|Product dimensions:||9.20(w) x 10.80(h) x 1.00(d)|
About the Author
Table of Contents
1. Science: A Way of Knowing: How do you know what you know?
2. The Ordered Universe: Why do planets appear to wander slowly across the sky?
3. Energy: Why must animals eat to stay alive?
4. Heat and the Second Law of Thermodynamics: Why is it easier to make an omelet from an egg than to make an egg from an omelet?
5. Electricity and Magnetism: What is lightning?
6. Waves and Electromagnetic Radiation: What is color?
7. Albert Einstein and the Theory of Relativity: Can a human ever travel faster than the speed of light, at “warp speed”?
8. The Atom: Why are there so many different materials in the world?
9. Quantum Mechanics: How can the electron behave like both a particle and a wave?
10. Atoms in Combination: The Chemical Bond: How does blood clot?
11. Materials and Their Properties: How have computers gotten so much faster?
12. The Nucleus of the Atom: How do scientists determine the age of the oldest human fossils?
13. The Ultimate Structure of Matter: How can antimatter be used to probe the human brain?
14. The Stars: How much longer can the Sun sustain life on Earth?
15. Cosmology: Will the universe end?
16. Earth and Other Planets: Is Earth the only planet with life?
17. Plate Tectonics: Can we predict destructive earthquakes?
18. Earth’s Many Cycles: Will we ever run out of fresh water?
19. Ecology, Ecosystems, and the Environment: Are human activities affecting the global environment?
20. Strategies of Life: What is life?
21. The Living Cell: What is the smallest living thing?
22. Molecules of Life: What constitutes a healthy diet?
23. Classical and Modern Genetics: Why do offspring resemble their parents?
24. The New Science of Life: Can we cure cancer?
25. Evolution: How did life emerge on the ancient Earth?