Where Trump Learned to Rule
To know Donald J. Trump it is best to start in his natural habitat: Palm Beach, Florida. It is here he learned the techniques that took him all the way to the White House. Painstakingly, over decades, he has created a world in this exclusive tropical enclave and favorite haunt of billionaires where he is not just president but a king. The vehicle for his triumph is Mar-A-Lago, one of the greatest mansions ever built in the United States. The inside story of how he became King of Palm Beachand how Palm Beach continues to be his spiritual home even as presidentis rollicking, troubling, and told with unrivaled access and understanding by Laurence Leamer.
In Mar-A-Lago, the reader will learn:
* How Donald Trump bought a property now valued by some at as much as $500,000,000 for less than three thousand dollars of his own money.
* Why Trump was blackballed by the WASP grandees of the island and how he got his revenge.
* How Trump joined forces with the National Enquirer, which was headquartered nearby, and engineered his own divorce.
* How by turning Mar-A-Lago into a private club, Trump was the unlikely man to integrate Palm Beach’s restricted country club scene, and what his real motives were.
* What transpires behind the gates of today’s Mar-A-Lago during “the season,” when President Trump and assorted D.C. power players fly down each weekend.
In addition to copious interviews and reporting from inside Mar-A-Lago, Laurence Leamer brings an acute and unparalleled understanding of the society of Palm Beach, where he has lived for twenty-five years. He has written an essential book for understanding Donald Trump’s inner character.
Related collections and offers
|Product dimensions:||6.40(w) x 9.40(h) x 1.10(d)|
About the Author
Laurence Leamer has taught in a mountain school in Nepal in the Peace Corps, as well as worked in a factory in France and a coal mine in West Virginia. He has also written more than a dozen books, including several New York Times bestsellers and an off-Broadway play. The award-winning author’s books include The Kennedy Women, The Price of Justice, and the Edgar-nominated The Lynching. He lives in Palm Beach, Florida, and Washington, D.C, with his wife, Vesna.
Table of Contents
Author's Note ix
1 Trump's Palm Beach 1
2 Fantasy Island 8
3 Estate Sale 25
4 Tabloid Prince 45
5 "Is That All There Is?" 61
6 The Forbidden City 82
7 "A T-Bone in a Kennel" 100
8 The Promises of Life 112
9 The Contest 127
10 A Proper President 143
11 The Apprentice 153
12 Trumped Again 171
13 The Candidate 190
14 The Sun King 207
15 Games of Chaos 221
16 "The President!!! The Great President!!!" 238