From her humble roots in Georgia to her triumphant recording years in Nashville and a fulfilling married life with husband Garth Brooks in Oklahoma, Trisha has always enjoyed feeding those she loves. In Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen, she dishes up a collection of more than 120 of her go-to recipes in a tribute to both home-grown cooking and family traditions.
Trisha believes a recipe always tastes better when served with a story. Here, she teams up with her mother and sister to share their family’s best-loved recipes, charming memories, and personal anecdotes. Along the way, you’ll discover comfort cooking with a contemporary twist that you’ll want at the heart of your own table:
· Gwen’s Fried Chicken with Milk Gravy
· Barbecued Pork
· Black Bean Lasagna
· Skillet Almond Shortbread
· Blackberry Cobbler
· And much, much more.
In addition to recipes for inviting soups, hearty salads, home-style entrees, colorful side dishes, and irresistible desserts, Trisha shares practical advice, time-saving tips, and creative ingredient substitutions to accommodate all tastes and dietary needs. Best of all, this unpretentious food is easy to put together, satisfies even the biggest country appetites, and tastes like home.
Related collections and offers
|Publisher:||Clarkson Potter/Ten Speed|
|Product dimensions:||7.40(w) x 9.90(h) x 0.50(d)|
About the Author
Read an Excerpt
When it comes to potato salad, you like what you like. This recipe is mayonnaise-based, but if you like a mustard-based potato salad, just experiment a little. Add some yellow mustard and leave out a little bit of the mayonnaise. Make these recipes your own by finding out what works for you. Our traditional potato salad uses peeled potatoes, but unpeeled work too, and the skins add some color to your dish.
5 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cut in ½-inch cubes
2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, and diced
3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
½ cup sweet pickle relish
Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan or pressure cooker (see Note). Add 2 teaspoons salt and enough water to cover the potatoes. Boil the potatoes for 30 minutes, or until they are tender when pierced with the point of a knife but hold their shape. Drain the potatoes, transfer them to a large mixing bowl, and allow them to cool completely. Add the chopped eggs, mayonnaise, and sweet relish, and fold gently to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Don’t overcook the potatoes. They should hold their shape during mixing.
Note: The potatoes may be cooked in a pressure cooker. Sprinkle salt over the potatoes. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions and pressure-cook for 5 minutes. Release the pressure immediately and drain and cool the potatoes.
Sweet Potato Soufflé
This is a nice variation on regular sweet potatoes for a Thanksgiving side dish. It's almost a dessert, it's so sweet!
• 5 medium sweet potatoes (about
9 ounces each)
• 2 large eggs
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 1 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
• 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup milk
• Pinch of salt
• 1 cup finely chopped pecans
• 1 cup brown sugar, packed
• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a 2 1/2-quart baking dish with butter. On a foil-covered baking sheet, bake the sweet potatoes for 1 hour, or until they are soft. When cool enough to handle, peel the potatoes, place the flesh in a large mixing bowl, and mash until very smooth. Add the eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, milk, and salt. Combine well with an electric mixer or hand mixer. Turn the mixture into the baking dish.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the pecans, brown sugar, flour, and butter until thoroughly combined. Spoon the mixture over the sweet potatoes, making an even layer. Bake the casserole for 30 minutes, or until slightly browned. Let the casserole sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Table of Contents
Useful Equipment 15
Substitutions and Helpful Hints 16
Snacks and Appetizers 19
Soups and Salads 39
Beef and Pork 71
Poultry, Fish, and Pasta 91
Quick Breads and Muffins 149
Cakes, Pies, and Puddings 161
Cookies, Candy, and Ice Cream 197