Curly Girl is packed with unique and fail-proof hair-care methods, inspiration, and an empowering pro-curl attitude. It’s all here: daily routines for Botticelli, fractal, and wavy curls; Lorraine’s no-more-shampoo epiphany—handle your hair as gently as you do your best cashmere sweater; homemade lotions and potions. New to this edition: an illustrated, step-by-step guide to trimming your own hair (remember: it’s not what you take off; it’s what you leave on); a section on the particular needs of wavy hair; Lorraine’s Down-and-Dirty Curly Boy Routine; more fabulous ’dos for weddings and other special occasions; a chapter on multicurltural hair written by an African American specialist. Plus, updated information on green and chemical-free products, 20 new Q&As, and a DVD with tutorials on caring for four different types of curls. From now on, there’s no such thing as a bad hair day.
Related collections and offers
|Publisher:||Workman Publishing Company, Inc.|
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||316 MB|
|Note:||This product may take a few minutes to download.|
About the Author
Michele Bender, co-author of Silver Hair and Curly Girl, is an award-winning freelance writer. She has co-authored best-selling books, such as Believe Me with Yolanda Hadid and The Immune System Recovery Plan with Dr. Susan Blum. Her work has appeared in The New York Times, Glamour, Real Simple and Family Circle, among other national publications.
Lorraine Massey, a pioneer in the booming Curly Girl movement, created the CG Method, which has since been adopted by hundreds of stylists worldwide. Lorraine is the sole owner of Spiral (x,y,z), a multi-disciplined salon, and founder of CurlyWorld, a line of haircare products. Lorraine spends her days teaching the Curl by Curl method to stylists worldwide. Curly Kids is her third book, following best-sellers Curly Girl: The Handbook and Silver Hair: The Handbook with Michele Bender
Michele Bender is an award-winning freelance book and magazine writer. She co-authors and ghost-writes books with high-profile experts and celebrities.
Read an Excerpt
QUIZ: Are You a Curly Girl?
If spring is not just in the air, but in your hair, you might be a curly girl. Just take the following quiz, and find out if the Curly Girl: The Handbook holds the secrets to your future hair success.
1. Do you often wear your hair tied back in a ponytail?
2. Does your hair develop volume in humid, hot, or wet weather?
3. Does your hair make you feel out of control?
4. Do you find yourself crying after every haircut?
5. Look at old photographs and recall how you felt about your hair--and yourself--on the day the picture was taken. Was there a strong correlation between your hair and your mood?
6. Do you almost always have a haze of frizz around your head?
7. Do you blow-dry your hair so often that its texture is as dry and brittle as a piece of melba toast?
8. Does your budget for products to straighten or relax your hair exceed your annual tax-deductible contributions to charity?
9. Do you live in fear of humidity, sweating, spontaneous sex, a shower with your lover--or any weather or activity that might unmask you as a curly girl?
10. Are you almost always unhappy with your hair?
11. Do you worry about your hair before any big occasion, like a wedding or an important business meeting?
If you answered yes to one or more questions, congratulations! You know who you are. You're a curly girl waiting to happen. Your hair is bristling with movement longing to break free, waves aching to curl, frizz begging for direction.
Table of ContentsIntroduction (xi)
Our Curls, Ourselves: Finding Your Inner Curl (1)
Hair: The Inside Story (9)
The Three Types of Curly Girls: Which Curl Are You? (19)
The Curly Girl Program: Creating a Daily Routine (29)
Products and Home Remedies: What's a Curly Girl to Do? (47)
You Go, Curl!: African American Hair (61)
A Cutting Edge Philosophy: A Crop of Curls (69)
Color Me Curly: The Best Choices for Curls (79)
The Care and Handling of Curly Kids: Getting Kids to Like Their Curls (85)
Curly Girl Q&A: No More Bad Hair Days (91)
Looks for Special Occasions: Easy Updos (109)
A 12-Step Recovery Program for Curly Girls: One Shampoo at a Time (119)
Time Line: A Cavalcade of Curls (125)
Astrolocurls: A Horoscope (136)
Curly Diary (141)