- Pub. Date:
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Pub. Date:
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Concept Maps in the disorders chapters help you visualize difficult material, and illustrate how a disorder's multiple symptoms, treatments, and side effects relate to each other.
- Get Ready for the NCLEX® Examination! section includes Key Points that summarize chapter objectives, additional resources for further study, review questions for the NCLEX® Examination, and critical thinking questions.
- Nursing Care Plans with critical thinking questions provide a clinical scenario and demonstrate application of the nursing process with updated NANDA-I nursing diagnoses to individual patient problems.
- Anatomy and physiology content in each body system overview chapter provides basic information for understanding the body system and its disorders, and appears along with Focused Assessment boxes highlighting the key tasks of data collection for each body system.
- Assignment Considerations, discussed in Chapter 1 and highlighted in feature boxes, address situations in which the RN delegates tasks to the LPN/LVN, or the LPN/LVN assigns tasks to nurse assistants, per the individual state nurse practice act.
- Gerontologic nursing presented throughout in the context of specific disorders with Elder Care Points boxes that address the unique medical-surgical care issues that affect older adults.
- Safety Alert boxes call out specific dangers to patients and teach you to identify and implement safe clinical care.
- Evidence-based Practice icons highlight current references to research in nursing and medical practice.
- Patient Teaching boxes provide step-by-step instructions and guidelines for post-hospital care — and prepare you to educate patients on their health condition and recovery.
- Health Promotion boxes address wellness and disease prevention strategies that you can provide in patient teaching.
- NEW! Content updated with the most current health care standards, including QSEN competencies, hypertension, diabetes, and hypoglycemia, to relate national standards to LPN/LVN practice.
- UPDATED! Revised chapter objectives and content reflects higher-level critical thinking, communication, patient safety, and priority setting.
- UPDATED! Get Ready for the NCLEX®! review questions updated per the 2014 NCLEX-PN® test plan.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
|Product dimensions:||8.40(w) x 10.80(h) x 1.70(d)|
Table of Contents
Unit One: Medical-Surgical Nursing Settings, Roles, and Issues
1.Caring for Medical-Surgical Patients
2.Critical Thinking and Nursing Process
Unit Two: Medical-Surgical Patient Care Problems
3.Fluids, Electrolytes, Acid-Base Balance, and Intravenous Therapy
4.Care of Preoperative and Intraoperative Surgical Patients
5.Care of Postoperative Surgical Patients
6.Infection Prevention and Control
7.Care of Patients with Pain
8.Care of Patients with Cancer
9.Chronic Illness and Rehabilitation
Unit 3: Immune System
10.The Immune and Lymphatic Systems
11.Care of Patients with Immune and Lymphatic Disorders and HIV/AIDS
Unit 4: Respiratory System
12.The Respiratory System
13.Care of Patients with Disorders of the Upper Respiratory System
14.Care of Patients with Disorders of the Lower Respiratory System
Unit 5: Hematologic System
15.The Hematologic System
16.Care of Patients with Hematologic Disorders
Unit 6: Cardiovascular System
17.The Cardiovascular System
18.Care of Patients with Hypertension and Peripheral Vascular Disease
19.Care of Patients with Cardiac Disorders
20.Care of Patients with Coronary Artery Disease and Cardiac Surgery
Unit 7: Neurologic System
21.The Neurologic System
22.Care of Patients with Head and Spinal Cord Injuries
23.Care of Patients with Disorders of the Brain
24.Care of Patients with Degenerative Neurologic Disorders
Unit 8: Sensory System
25.The Sensory System: Eye and Ear
26.Care of Patients with Disorders of the Eyes and Ears
Unit 9: Gastrointestinal System
27.The Gastrointestinal System
28.Care of Patients with Disorders of the Upper Gastrointestinal System
29.Care of Patients with Disorders of the Lower Gastrointestinal System
30.Care of Patients with Disorders of the Gallbladder, Liver, and Pancreas
Unit 10: Musculoskeletal System
31.The Musculoskeletal System
32.Care of Patients with Musculoskeletal and Connective Tissue Disorders
Unit 11: Urinary System
33.The Urinary System
34.Care of Patients with Disorders of the Urinary System
Unit 12: Endocrine System
35.The Endocrine System
36.Care of Patients with Pituitary, Thyroid, Parathyroid, and Adrenal Disorders
37.Care of Patients with Diabetes and Hypoglycemia
Unit 13: Reproductive System
38.Care of Women with Reproductive Disorders
39.Care of Men with Reproductive Disorders
40.Care of Patients with Sexually Transmitted Infections
Unit 14: Integumentary System
41.The Integumentary System
42.Care of Patients with Integumentary Disorders and Burns
Unit 15: Emergency and Disaster Management
43.Care of Patients in Disasters or Bioterrorism Attack
44.Care of Patients with Emergencies, Trauma, and Shock
Unit 16: Mental Health Nursing of the Adult
45.Care of Patients with Anxiety, Mood, and Eating Disorders
46.Care of Patients with Substance Abuse Disorders
47.Care of Patients with Cognitive Disorders
48.Care of Patients with Thought and Personality Disorders
•Appendix A: Standards of Practice and Educational Competencies of Graduates of Practical/Vocational Nursing Programs
•Appendix B: NFLPN Nursing Practice Standards for the Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurse
•Appendix C: American Hospital Association: The Patient Care Partnership – Understanding Expectations, Rights, and Responsibilities
What People are Saying About This
Build a solid foundation in medical-surgical nursing for success on the NCLEX-PN® and in practice